Thursday 30 April 2015

The only way is Essex

M8.30am I am entering www.lingstriumph.com in Foxall road Ipswich, which is just along the road from where I spent the night.  
By 10.30 the nice guys there had relieved me of a small fortune in return for a working Tyre Pressure Sensor. Thanks it was much appreciated.
At exactly noon I crossed from Suffolk into Essex. It would be cheap and unworthy, not to mention potentially libellous to say the with the county boundary crossing came an increase in spray tan and nail salons - so I won't.
Essex marshes are much kinder to the eye than the plains of Lincolnshire, there are large fields, but punctuated by trees and hedges.
I stopped for a sandwich in West Mesea, an odd little place where the beach huts mix with enormous houses, and a thriving boating community. In the little cafe I met a charming young man who asked if he could take some photos of the bike. He explained that his dad has a Bonneville and he is about to take his bike test. It's conversations like this, out of the blue, that add a sparkle and punctuation to the trip.
The satnav problems persist. It has a mind of its own, so I have concluded that trying to follow a prescribed route is where madness lies. Instead I will concentrate on tracking the coast with some key location. And enjoy the way, rather than worrying about whether or not I am as close as I can be to the sea.
Fish and chips in Southend perfect. But what a hassle getting here. I have experienced heavy traffic, but this was crazy. If I had to drive through this every day I would go mad.
The Ibis hotel in Thurrock is clean, comfortable and provides a decent shower, with the opportunity for some laundry. In preparation for an early start.




No comments:

Post a Comment