Friday 20 March 2015

Testing a tracking app

I have a Satnav on my bike, its a Garmin Zumo 550, and I am very satisfied with it, but it is not possible to extract daily information about the route travelled, as distinct from the planned route, and publish it online. To do this involves plugging the Zumo into a PC or laptop and saving the route as a .gpx file. Even then I'm not sure how easy it is to create an online picture.
There are a number of smartphone apps designed for runners, walkers and cyclists which offer a tracking function. I use Mapmywalk and its stablemate mapmyride, and find them very good. just touch the screen when you start and when you finish and the inbuilt gps does the rest. The major problem is that the gps eats batteries, so a walk or ride that takes more than 6 or 7 hours won't be fully recorded (I use an iphone 5, others may be better).
I have done some testing and as far as I can see the following link should bring you to a test run I did in the car. please let me know if the link doesn't work.

http://www.mapmywalk.com/routes/view/653959184

I solved the battery problem by rigging up a charge cable from the power point on my bike, so I should be able to record daily routes effectively. I will try it live, and test the process of posting from the phone, which is not as easy as doing it on the computer.

Bike riding is off the agenda for a few days as my back is playing up!!

No comments:

Post a Comment