Tuesday 10 March 2015

Day on the Moors


Beautiful clear sunny day so it's time to head for the hills. I set the satnav for Helmsley and find that even the A1 is clear and fast. The view from Sutton Bank between Thirsk and Helmsley is awesome. no safe place to stop for photos unfortunately.
In Helmsley I balk at paying to leave my bike on the market square. There are a few other bikers around but not like a weekend. Instead I refuel and head North into the moors towards Cockayne. Wonderful views narrow roads and no traffic, bliss. 
On the tops I come across heather burning. This controlled system is designed to renovate the heather and provide good nesting for the game birds. Riding alongside the flames and smoke I was reminded of the 1989 advert for the Peugeot 405 with the car driving through flaming sugar plantation, to the soundtrack of take my breath away 



After a brief chat with some friends --

It was back to Helmsley for the best Steak and Ale pie ever from Hunters  www.huntersofhelmsley.com
I'm off now for a look round the walled garden, then home.
Unfortunately the walled garden isn't open till April!
Instead I took the road to Stokesley. A well known biker  route . Last time I was here was a couple of years ago walking the Coast to Coast walk. This crosses the road around Clay Bank and I remember well arriving here exhausted after the longest day of the walk, about 25 Miles.. Today is less exhausting but just as beautiful. I also know from that visit just how annoyed the locals get about motorbikes on this road. Sorry guys!!
In the picture taken at Claybank you can just see the truncated pyramid of Roseberry Topping on the horizon.


No comments:

Post a Comment