Sunday 10 May 2015

Goodbye Wales

A misty, drizzly morning at the hostel near Holyhead. I slept well, and can't complain about the hostel, it was clean and comfortable, but I do look forward to a proper private room with en suite.

As I circumnavigated Anglesey I was reminded of why I am not following the coast roads - lots of tiny narrow and slow lanes, which require so much concentration that looking at the view is impossible.
Over the Menai bridge in some strong wind, and then to a real treat. Llandudno is a splendid little seaside resort with sea, sand, a decent prom without masses of amusement arcades, and the Great Orme. I had been advised to drive round the toll road and am glad I did.
The vow back to Landudno is great, and the cliffs are spectacular, with climbers enjoying the challenge.
At the top is a tramway old mine and a few other tasteful attractions.
As you travel east along the coast from      
Conwy to Rhyl and Prestatyn the incidence of holiday caravan parks increases, in fact the brick bungalows begin to resemble caravans in their neat rows, and the sophistication of the caravans make them look just like bungalows.
An interesting diversion East of Rhyl at Llanerch-Y-Mor,  I came across The Fun Ship aka The Duke  Of Lancaster http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TSS_Duke_of_Lancaster_%281956%29
It's an old passenger ferry which has been beached and used as an entertainment centre, with controversy according to the Wikipedia entry.
More interesting history here http://www.dukeoflancaster.net/index.html
It's an awesome sight, clearly visible from the coast road, and you can get quite close on a footpath, but gates and razor wire keep out visitors
Through the Mersey tunnel the next stop was Crosby where the Anthony Gormley installation "Another Place" makes an impressive presence on the windswept beach. I'm not a great art lover, but I do find this piece touching in its simlicity.
I found a new friend too
Out of Liverpool and through Southport. I have never been here before and was surprised to see cars parked on the beach, and a view across the sands to Blackpool. If you look carefully you can see the tower and the pleasure beach on the horizon, but they are tomorrow joys.







No comments:

Post a Comment